Writing your resume is a very similar process to writing the cover letter - we want to use many of the same keywords from the job description, and tie them to our experience.
This time, though, we'll include a more complete work and education history, and write using bullet points instead of paragraphs. Use specific numbers and accomplishments, like "Consistently in the top 10% of representatives for customer satisfaction", rather than generic phrases, like "Achieved customer satisfaction".
You may also find that some aspects of your experience aren't as relevant to some jobs; feel free to leave things out to keep the resume focused on what the company you're applying with wants.
Here's what the resume might look like:
And here's our list of keywords, crossed out as we included them in the resume:
- Barista at Lil' Joe's Coffeehouse
Creating order out of chaos
- Takes on additional responsibilities fills in gaps
- Customer Support at Healthcare.gov
- Technical customer support
- Client engagement
- Turning over all the rocks
Resolving issues thoroughly
- Building, configuring, and troubleshooting
Challenging technical issues
Diverse enterprise customer base
- Integrity of the work
- Benefit the customer
- Takes initiative
- Improve outcomes, processes, or measurements
- Accountable for results
- Provide support and collaboration.
- Passion for the web
- Interpersonal and communication skills
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or relevant experience on the job
- Internship at Digital Designs
- Relevant experience on the job
- Network protocol layers
- Security layers
With that, we're done! This cover letter and resume will get us past any bots or even non-technical HR staff by using the terms and phrases from the job description. It will also make it easy for a hiring manager to see that we have the skills and attitudes they're looking for in this role.
One last tip: when applying for a job by email, put your cover letter in the body of your email, and attach it and your resume as a PDF (not as a Word document).